Subject: Trouble with gzipped info files on Windows

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:49:05 +0100

Package: emacs,w32
Version: 23.0.60

Gzipping normal CRLF info files on Windows, there's currently two problems:

  1.- For all info files:

    cd info
    gzip efaq
    emacs -Q --eval "(progn (set-language-environment \"UTF-8\") (info
\"(efaq)\")"

    The info pages are decoded with a -unix coding system, so lines
contain spurious ^M characters.

    It does depend on setting the language environment (on the command
line or .emacs). For example, with my default "Spanish" environment,
it does not happen; but if I pass "Spanish" in the command above, the
info pages are erroneously decoded as info-latin-1-unix.

    The presence of NUL characters (see fixed bug#876) is irrelevant.
efaq does contain NUL, but the same bug happens with gnus, which does
not.

 2.- Additionally, for info nodes that do NOT contain a Top node:

    cd info
    emacs -Q --eval "(progn (set-language-environment \"UTF-8\") (info
\"(ccmode)\")"
    ;; works OK.

    gzip ccmode*
    emacs -Q --eval "(progn (set-language-environment \"UTF-8\") (info
\"(ccmode)\")"
    ;;  "No such node or anchor: Top"