Subject: 24.4.50; mapcar is very slow

From: Peter Münster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:37:11 +0200

Hi,

ELP shows, that the mapcar function called from gnus-thread-latest-date
takes a lot of time (uptime of emacs is several days):

function                calls       total time [s]   time per call [s]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
mapcar                  20250       5.3743043500      0.0002653977

After restarting emacs:

mapcar                  21468       0.1387124370      6.461...e-06

About 40 times faster now!!

Thanks in advance for any help or hints how to debug further,

Further details:

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-09-14 on micropit
Repository revision: 117880 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403901
System Description:	openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  pm/keys-minor-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util mm-archive gnus-dup org-colview elp misearch
multi-isearch mailalias bbdb-message vc-dispatcher vc-svn org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-salt gnus-ml disp-table bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm gnus-delay
gnus-draft nndraft nnmh nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp gnus-icalendar org-capture
gnus-art mm-uu mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs json jl-encrypt epg mml2015
epg-config gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
dired rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems gnus-compat url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache url-vars mailcap nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit notifications dbus xml
wombat-theme savehist paren delsel server org-clock bbdb bbdb-site
timezone lua-mode edmacro kmacro rx org-notify org-element org byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice help-fns org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
slime-autoloads cl-macs bbdb-loaddefs tex-site auto-loads gnus-load cl
gv autoinsert compile comint ansi-color po-mode php-mode derived etags
ring cc-langs cl-loaddefs cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe easymenu time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 344956 38663)
 (symbols 48 43128 62)
 (miscs 40 123 587)
 (strings 32 96718 17145)
 (string-bytes 1 3253927)
 (vectors 16 43741)
 (vector-slots 8 1564631 71072)
 (floats 8 335 1543)
 (intervals 56 2324 486)
 (buffers 976 21)
 (heap 1024 66555 4558))

-- 
        Peter