Subject: Re: bug#18520: string ports should not have an encoding

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:13:55 +0200

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>>> Line/column info remains identical regardless of the encoding, so I tend
>>>> to think it’s more robust to use that.
>>>
>>> Column info remains identical regardless of the encoding?  Since when?
>>
>> The character on line L and column M is always there, regardless of
>> whether the file is encoded in UTF-8, Latin-1, etc.
>>
>> Would that work for LilyPond?
>
> Last time I looked, in the following line x was in column 3 in latin-1
> encoding and in column 2 in utf-8 encoding:
>
> üx

I’m not sure what you mean.  This line contains two characters: ‘u’ with
umlaut followed by ‘x’.  ‘ü’ is in the first column, and ‘x’ in the
second column.

If we get a different column number, that means we’re looking at a
different line.  It could be because the encoding of the input port from
which that line was read was incorrectly specified.  This is the issue
what would need to be fixed.

Is there a simple way to reproduce the issue with LilyPond?

Thanks,
Ludo’.