Subject: bug#18516: closed (Re: bug#18516: Acknowledgement (24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:40:04 +0000

Your bug report

#18516: 24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18516: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18516
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18516: Acknowledgement (24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:39:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:21:57 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 09/22/2014 08:21 AM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> 
> > Here is attached the log of the gdb sessione encoded in raw-text coding
> > system, please feel free to ask me for any further step --- like setting
> > break points, dumping some variable contents, and so on --- if it can
> > help locate the problem.
> 
> Crash in Fexpand_file_name?  Hm...there was some changes in r11780[123]
> and r117806.  Can you try to revert to r117800 and reproduce this crash?

This was introduced in r117806 (alloca doesn't like negative arguments).

Fixed in trunk revision 117918.

Subject: 24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual
From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:55:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The crash does not happen with the -Q option, only with my init
file. The recipe to make the crash is

C-h
i
m
Elisp
RET

Actually, it is not the Elisp manual as such that is problematic, but
any manual bundled with Emacs causes the crash, while other manuals are
OK. I suspect that the difference is because of the gzipping of these
bundled manual.

I tried to start Emacs from gdb (the latter started from an MSYS
console) but then I got that xbacktrace is not supported. And the crash
happened earlier, just with `C-h i'.

I think I should try with a simpler init file --- to find the smallest
thing causing the crash, but I have not yet done this investigation.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-09-19 on CHOUNEK
Repository revision: 117905 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs --without-jpeg
 --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png 'CPPFLAGS= -DFOR_MSW=1 -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/include -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src -L
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src'
 CPP=/mingw/bin/cpp.exe
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM SOUND NOTIFY ACL ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSPATH: c:\Programme\NGNU\CVS;C:\Programme\GNU\GnuPG;c:\Programme\apache-ant-1.8.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\mingw\bin;
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  mail-abbrevs-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
e f v a r SPC c o l ) , SPC e t SPC d e SPC p a s s 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> ' a s s o c i e r SPC d y n a m i q u e 
m e n t r <backspace> SPC l e s SPC s y m b o l SPC 
r o w SPC e t SPC c o l SPC à SPC l e u r SPC a v e 
c <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> v 
a l e u r SPC p o u r SPC l ' a f f i c h i e r <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> e r SPC ( <left> <left> <backspace> 
<backspace> a g f <backspace> e <end> s e s - p r i 
n c <backspace> t - c e l l ) <left> . . . <end> . 
SPC E s t r - <backspace> <backspace> - c e SPC q u 
e SPC t u SPC e r e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
t e r o u <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
r o u v e SPC <backspace> s SPC q u e SPC c ' e s t 
SPC u n e SPC b o n n e SPC i d é e . <return> <return> 
SPC SPC SPC V i n c e n t . C-c C-s y C-x d <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> P r o <tab> 
m <tab> g n <tab> e m <tab> <return> <down> <down> 
i <down> <down> <down> <down> i <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <next> C-s e l i s <down> <up> 
<return> C-x k <return> M-x r e p o r t - b u <tab> 
<tab> e m <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sending email 
Sending email done
250 2.0.0 tkfG1o00K2maGi203kfHFS mail accepted for delivery
221 2.0.0 mwinf5d32 ME closing connection
Sending...done
Deleting article d:/msys/1.0/home/Vincent/News/drafts/drafts/175 in drafts...
Mark set [2 times]
Mark saved where search started
uncompressing elisp.info.gz...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
d:/msys/1.0/home/Vincent/.emacs.d/etc/custom hides c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/custom
c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/loaddefs hides c:/Programme/GNU/installation/cedet-install/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug jka-compr misearch multi-isearch dired-aux
mailalias smtpmail qp mail-extr sort gnus-bcklg gnus-cite bbdb-message
sendmail nnir gnus-draft gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder bbdb-gnus
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm network-stream auth-source starttls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message dired-x dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr hl-line accents-ascii
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core tex-mik
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads calc-mathfloat calc-math edmacro
kmacro w32utils java-init cl-macs cl gv bsh-init recentf tree-widget
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs template mailabbrev
iswitchb cus-start cus-load bbdb easymenu bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs calc-misc calc-arith calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
skeleton load-path-to-cedet-svn time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 307965 27511)
 (symbols 24 42644 0)
 (miscs 20 1204 784)
 (strings 16 69259 8672)
 (string-bytes 1 2999325)
 (vectors 8 33295)
 (vector-slots 4 1369977 56986)
 (floats 8 261 542)
 (intervals 28 2243 1407)
 (buffers 516 28))