Subject: bug#18516: Acknowledgement (24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual)

From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:09:01 +0200

Hello Eli,

Answers inserted.

----------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:59:25 +0300
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: bug#18516: 24.4.50; EMACS crashes when I try to open Elisp manual
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
>
> > From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:50:50 +0200
> >
> > I have made a little more investigation, trying to boil down the dozen
> > of lines in my init file to what ultimately causes the crash.
> >
> > It occurs that this is caused by a tiny missing slash in some info path.
> >
> > I made an MSDos batch file that start emacs with -Q and a few other
> > command line arguments ( --eval and -f ) to do the minial inits and
> > actions to cause the crash. So on my machine when I open a DOS console,
> > and I type
> >
> > call bug18516_1.bat
> >
> > The it lauchnes and immediately after crashes.
>
> It doesn't crash for me.
>
> The comments in your batch file say "it is on purpose that there is no
> '/' between 'c:' and 'Invalid'", but actually there is a slash there.

Sorry, it is my mistake, this is because I tried both with and without
the forward slash to check that the missing forward slash is the
problem. BTW, c:/Invalid/path/info does not need to be an invalid path
when the forward slash is present. It just becomes invalid when you
remove this slash and just write c:Invalid/path/info.

> Anyway, I tried both ways, and it didn't crash for me.
>
> I don't understand why you use forward slashes in the "start" command;
> did you invoke this batch file from MSYS Bash or something?

No, I did call bug18516_1.bat from an MSDos console, which I started by
typing "cmd" in the start/execute menu.

I wrote forward slash just because I copied and paste the full path from
a Dired view. It does not prevent the crash to use backslashes anyway.

   Vincent.