Subject: bug#18493: closed (Re: bug#18493: 24.3.93; posn-col-row should take text-scale-mode into account)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:00:08 +0000

Your bug report

#18493: 24.3.93; posn-col-row should take text-scale-mode into account

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18493: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18493
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18493: 24.3.93; posn-col-row should take text-scale-mode into account
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:59:16 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 09/19/2014 11:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

 > You describe a means to get what you want, but don't explain why you
> need that.  Why do you need to divide the pixel coordinates by
> something?  What do you want to achieve by that division?

Then I'll have the return value of `posn-col-row' dependent on the 
buffer contents, but hopefully independent of the text scale level.

> I don't insist that you explain things to me, I'm trying to help you
> find the way of computing whatever it is that you need.  Feel free to
> give up on me.

Thank you, but you seem intent on helping me write the code in a 
considerably different way than it's written now. That would indeed be a 
waste of time, like Stefan said, because it mostly works well enough.

Closing.

Subject: 24.3.93; posn-col-row should take text-scale-mode into account
From: Dmitry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 02:03:46 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. M-x text-scale-increase (7 times)
2. Go to column 4.
3. (posn-col-row (posn-at-point))
=> (15 . 24)

Alternatively, please describe how to reliably recalculate the returned
value in the presence of text-scale-mode.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-09-05 on axl
Repository revision: 117482 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS