Subject: bug#18476: 24.3.93; ede-emacs-version: Searching for program: no such file or directory, egrep

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:50:26 -0400

> It hits when the user has any kind of S?X?Emacs source code checked
> out and
> - has enabled EDE mode,

OK, we can expect users to enable that, indeed.

> - has the Emacs source in a directory which is considered 'safe'
>   (w.r.t. ede-project-directories), and

I.e. either ede-project-directories explicitly accepts this particular
directory or it's set to t.  If the dir is explicitly listed, then we
can say "the user gets what she asked for".  But indeed if it's t we
don't have that defense.

You say "safe" but the docstring of ede-project-directories doesn't
mention anything about safety or lack thereof.  Is it dangerous to set
it to t?

By the way, looking at the code of ede-emacs-version, we need to fix all
those "match-string without checking the success of the previous
re-search-forward".

        Stefan