Subject: 24.3.93; Feature request - Add a variable for byte-compile function in `package--compile'

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:03:19 +0200

Hi,

would it be possible to add a variable to `package--compile' to allow
using another function than `byte-recompile-directory'?

I must use a defadvice actually which is annoying.

See https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/617
https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/619
and many similars issues you will find there to understand why
`byte-recompile-directory' is inefficient.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-09-07 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f8> U b u q q <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> C-M-SPC M-w 
C-M-SPC M-w M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Restoring buffers...41%
Here is not Git/Mercurial work tree
Restoring buffers...done
[mu4e] Started mu4e with 14502 messages in store
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 14000, updated 3
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 14504, updated 4, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.93/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug helm-command mule-util sh-script smie
executable markdown-mode vc-rcs vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server psession golden-ratio
winner undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp
slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode
image-file xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp
helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python json eldoc-eval warnings
whitespace paren time recentf tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e
helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions
ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils
mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win nnoo config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail
sendmail dired-async iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib
smallurl mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect
ledger-config ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils
async pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth
cl-info hyperspec slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl
dired-extension emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm-locate helm cl-macs gv helm-source vc vc-dispatcher
helm-config helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache package time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 525409 32858)
 (symbols 48 57379 3)
 (miscs 40 348 854)
 (strings 32 139593 19933)
 (string-bytes 1 4055614)
 (vectors 16 48444)
 (vector-slots 8 853380 24969)
 (floats 8 2140 334)
 (intervals 56 1163 0)
 (buffers 960 98)
 (heap 1024 59141 2592))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997