Subject: Re: bug#18438: 24.4.50; assertion failed in bidi.c

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:30:41 +1300

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:19:14 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/24/2014 3:18 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> A Cygwin bug was just found (and fixed) that could cause corruption 
>> of the flags
>> register, as Eli suspected:
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-10/msg00397.html
>>
>> Aidan, could you try the latest Cygwin snapshot and see if that 
>> fixes the problem?
>
> There's no need to use a snapshot anymore.  The proposed fix is in
> the latest test release, cygwin-1.7.33-0.2.

I have had no Emacs crashes since updating to this Cygwin version two 
days ago (with the same amount of use per day), so this bug seems to 
have been the cause.  Let's see if the other users experiencing the 
bogus assertions stop getting them after this fix makes it into the 
stable release.

(I am still occasionally having Emacs freeze in such a way that it is 
unaffected by a DebugBreak (see 
<https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00321.html>), but less often 
than the bogus asserts, and likely unrelated.)