Subject: bug#18438: 24.4.50; assertion failed in bidi.c

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:38:47 +1300

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:39:42 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> Here's one more random idea.  In case this problem is caused by a bug
> in one of the libraries that Emacs depends on, I wonder if it would 
> be
> useful for Aidan to build emacs so that it depends on only those
> libraries that he absolutely needs.  (Aidan, you can use cygcheck or
> ldd to see which DLLs Emacs pulls in.)  If, by some miracle, the
> crashes and assertion violations stop, he can add them back in one by
> one to see which one is the culprit.

OK, last backtrace before moving to a minimal build.  Here's the output 
of ldd on my current emacs build:
$ ldd emacs.exe
         ntdll.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll 
(0x76ff0000)
         kernel32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll 
(0x76d70000)
         KERNELBASE.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/KERNELBASE.dll 
(0x7fefd6b0000)
         cygwin1.dll => /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll (0x180040000)
         cyggio-2.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cyggio-2.0-0.dll (0x3fd680000)
         cygglib-2.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygglib-2.0-0.dll (0x3fd540000)
         cygiconv-2.dll => /usr/bin/cygiconv-2.dll (0x3fd0f0000)
         cygintl-8.dll => /usr/bin/cygintl-8.dll (0x3fafc0000)
         cygpcre-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygpcre-1.dll (0x3fa460000)
         cyggmodule-2.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cyggmodule-2.0-0.dll 
(0x3fd530000)
         cyggobject-2.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cyggobject-2.0-0.dll 
(0x3fd300000)
         cygffi-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygffi-6.dll (0x3fdd90000)
         cygz.dll => /usr/bin/cygz.dll (0x3f9620000)
         cygjpeg-8.dll => /usr/bin/cygjpeg-8.dll (0x3fad70000)
         cygMagickCore-5.dll => /usr/bin/cygMagickCore-5.dll 
(0x3fe9a0000)
         cyggomp-1.dll => /usr/bin/cyggomp-1.dll (0x3fd2e0000)
         cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll => /usr/bin/cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll (0x3fd890000)
         cygautotrace-3.dll => /usr/bin/cygautotrace-3.dll (0x3fe460000)
         cygming-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygming-1.dll (0x3fa920000)
         cygfreetype-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygfreetype-6.dll (0x3fd8b0000)
         cygbz2-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygbz2-1.dll (0x3fe400000)
         cygpng15-15.dll => /usr/bin/cygpng15-15.dll (0x3fa1c0000)
         cyggif-4.dll => /usr/bin/cyggif-4.dll (0x3fd7c0000)
         cygX11-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygX11-6.dll (0x3fe750000)
         cygxcb-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygxcb-1.dll (0x3f9790000)
         cygXau-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygXau-6.dll (0x3fe730000)
         cygXdmcp-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygXdmcp-6.dll (0x3fe710000)
         cygpstoedit-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygpstoedit-0.dll (0x3f9fa0000)
         cyggd-2.dll => /usr/bin/cyggd-2.dll (0x3fd840000)
         cygfontconfig-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygfontconfig-1.dll 
(0x3fda10000)
         cygexpat-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygexpat-1.dll (0x3fdcb0000)
         cygXpm-4.dll => /usr/bin/cygXpm-4.dll (0x3fe6a0000)
         cygstdc++-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygstdc++-6.dll (0x3f9c60000)
         cygcairo-2.dll => /usr/bin/cygcairo-2.dll (0x3fe2e0000)
         cygGL-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygGL-1.dll (0x3fff50000)
         cygglapi-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygglapi-0.dll (0x3fd630000)
         cygX11-xcb-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygX11-xcb-1.dll (0x3fe740000)
         cygxcb-glx-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygxcb-glx-0.dll (0x3f9420000)
         cygpixman-1-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygpixman-1-0.dll (0x3fa060000)
         cygxcb-render-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygxcb-render-0.dll 
(0x3f9780000)
         cygxcb-shm-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygxcb-shm-0.dll (0x3f9410000)
         cygXext-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygXext-6.dll (0x3fe6f0000)
         cygXrender-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygXrender-1.dll (0x3fe660000)
         cygfftw3-3.dll => /usr/bin/cygfftw3-3.dll (0x3fdb80000)
         cygfpx-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygfpx-1.dll (0x3fd950000)
         cyggs-9.dll => /usr/bin/cyggs-9.dll (0x3fc960000)
         cygidn-11.dll => /usr/bin/cygidn-11.dll (0x3faf80000)
         cyglcms2-2.dll => /usr/bin/cyglcms2-2.dll (0x3fabc0000)
         cygpaper-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygpaper-1.dll (0x3fa4b0000)
         cygtiff-5.dll => /usr/bin/cygtiff-5.dll (0x3f9870000)
         cygjbig-2.dll => /usr/bin/cygjbig-2.dll (0x3fadd0000)
         cygXt-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygXt-6.dll (0x3fe600000)
         cygICE-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygICE-6.dll (0x3fff30000)
         cygSM-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygSM-6.dll (0x3fe870000)
         cyguuid-1.dll => /usr/bin/cyguuid-1.dll (0x3f97d0000)
         cygjasper-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygjasper-1.dll (0x3fadf0000)
         cygltdl-7.dll => /usr/bin/cygltdl-7.dll (0x3fab10000)
         cyglzma-5.dll => /usr/bin/cyglzma-5.dll (0x3fac30000)
         cygpango-1.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygpango-1.0-0.dll (0x3fa510000)
         cygthai-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygthai-0.dll (0x3f9900000)
         cygdatrie-1.dll => /usr/bin/cygdatrie-1.dll (0x3fe030000)
         cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll 
(0x3fa4f0000)
         cygpangoft2-1.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygpangoft2-1.0-0.dll 
(0x3fa4d0000)
         cygharfbuzz-0.dll => /usr/bin/cygharfbuzz-0.dll (0x3fc900000)
         cyggraphite2-3.dll => /usr/bin/cyggraphite2-3.dll (0x3fd2b0000)
         cygrsvg-2-2.dll => /usr/bin/cygrsvg-2-2.dll (0x3f9f00000)
         cygcroco-0.6-3.dll => /usr/bin/cygcroco-0.6-3.dll (0x3fe210000)
         cygxml2-2.dll => /usr/bin/cygxml2-2.dll (0x3f9640000)
         cyggdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll => /usr/bin/cyggdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll 
(0x3fd7d0000)
         ADVAPI32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/ADVAPI32.dll 
(0x7fefdd20000)
         msvcrt.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/msvcrt.dll 
(0x7feff070000)
         sechost.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/sechost.dll 
(0x7fefda30000)
         RPCRT4.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/RPCRT4.dll 
(0x7fefdad0000)
         GDI32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/GDI32.dll 
(0x7fefda50000)
         USER32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/USER32.dll 
(0x76c70000)
         LPK.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/LPK.dll (0x7feff110000)
         USP10.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/USP10.dll 
(0x7fefdc00000)
         cygMagickWand-5.dll => /usr/bin/cygMagickWand-5.dll 
(0x3fe880000)
         cygncursesw-10.dll => /usr/bin/cygncursesw-10.dll (0x3faa30000)
         cygtiff-6.dll => /usr/bin/cygtiff-6.dll (0x3f9800000)
         COMCTL32.dll => 
/cygdrive/c/Windows/WinSxS/amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac/COMCTL32.dll 
(0x7fefbe70000)
         SHLWAPI.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/SHLWAPI.dll 
(0x7fefe070000)
         comdlg32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/comdlg32.dll 
(0x7fefefd0000)
         SHELL32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/SHELL32.dll 
(0x7fefe240000)
         ole32.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/ole32.dll 
(0x7fefde60000)
         IMM32.DLL => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/IMM32.DLL 
(0x7fefe210000)
         MSCTF.dll => /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/MSCTF.dll 
(0x7fefd820000)