Subject: Re: bug#18438: 24.4.50; assertion failed in bidi.c

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:31:48 +1200

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:09:08 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> Please run Emacs under GDB, and when this happens again, produce a
> full backtrace and post it here.  I'd like to see if the symptoms are
> similar to what Ken reported in bug #17817.

I am unable to do this because Emacs hangs when run under GDB on 
opening a symbolic link.  Emacs hangs with a message in the minibuffer 
indicating that it is loading a library that is on my load-path as a 
symbolic link; if I replace this symlink with a copy of the file it 
links to, Emacs hangs on loading the next library that is installed via 
a symlink.  If there are no symlinks on load-path, it hangs where it 
would normally load my desktop file, which has files open via symlinks 
(i.e. there is a symlink to a directory in their path).  If I run `gdb 
emacs`, gdb gives "Error creating process /usr/local/bin/emacs, (error 
5)." when I type the `run` command, but it can run emacs if I specify 
the name of the binary to which `emacs` is a symlink 
(/usr/local/bin/emacs -> /usr/local/bin/emacs-24.4.50.exe).  I am 
running GDB 7.8 from the Cygwin package.

I'm surprised Ken did not run into this.  Ken, which version of Cygwin 
and GDB were you running at the time?

--Aidan