Subject: Re: Bug#760861: bug#18428: Bug#760861: bug#18428: Bug#760861: bug#18428: coreutils binary breaks coreutils documentation

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 13:27:27 -0600

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Assaf Gordon wrote:
> > BTW,
> >  "http://gnu.org/s/"  redirects to "http://www.gnu.org/software/" ,
> > so
> >  http://gnu.org/s/coreutils/ls
> > 
> > also works.
> 
> But isn't it better to avoid a redirection (if possible)?

I think it is better to use the canonical form.  This will be the
documented interface.  The short redirect in this case is really a
typing aide.  But the reason it redirects is so that the canonical
form is presented to the user for bookmarking and other purposes.

If we are playing golf and trying to reduce the number of characters
at the expense of readability then the logical conclusion is that we
should use a tinyurl such as http://tinyurl.com/osczpn8 or
http://bit.ly/1p3QK7a and that obviously isn't good.  Let's use the
canonical form.

Bob