Subject: coreutils binary breaks coreutils documentation

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 11:26:52 -0600

Vincent Lefevre reported to the Debian BTS that the new documentation
shipped for the recently added coreutils binary breaks the existing
documentation for all of the coreutils utilities.

  https://bugs.debian.org/760861

Confirmed.  Perhaps the documentation node name can be changed to be
something non-conflicting with the package name?  Or perhaps only
conditionally built if the binary is built?  Or Vincent's suggestion
to use upper case.  Or...?

If correspondents wish their responses logged to the Debian bug log
please add [email-masked] to the email recipients list.  (Two
BTS instances are a little difficult to stitch together until both bug
numbers are known.)

Bob

Original Debian report by Vincent Lefevre follows:

Subject: coreutils: in man pages, info invocation is incorrect: replace coreutils by Coreutils
Package: coreutils
Version: 8.23-2
Severity: minor

For instance, in the touch(1) man page:

  The full documentation for touch is maintained as a Texinfo manual.  If
  the info and touch programs are properly installed at  your  site,  the
  command

         info coreutils 'touch invocation'

  should give you access to the complete manual.

This is now incorrect (as of 8.23?), because it gives the page:

2.14 ‘coreutils’: Multi-call binary
===================================

‘coreutils’ invokes an individual utility, either implicitly selected by
the last component of ‘argv[0]’, or by explicitly calling ‘coreutils’
with the ‘--coreutils-prog’ option.  Synopsis:

     coreutils --coreutils-prog=PROGRAM …

The correct info invocation now is:

    info Coreutils 'touch invocation'

Note: Since the coreutils utility doesn't seem to exist in Debian, this
section could be removed, but this problem may reappear in the future.
So, it's better to use the capital letter C.