Subject: bug#18395: shred let me kill a mounted device

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:13:55 -0600

tags 18395 notabug
close 18395
stop

(triaging old bugs)

Hello,

On 03/09/14 07:32 AM, macetw wrote:
> I expect the shred utility to notice that it's about to operate on a mounted
> device, but it gave no such indication. 

It seems your email "fell between the cracks" and not replied to in many 
years. Sorry about that.

Regarding your suggestion:
Every file and every directory are essentially on a mounted device
(e.g. "/" is mounted from some physical drive, and so are all its
sub-directories).

As a side-note, please be aware the shred's effectiveness is
questionable with today's filesystems and hardware (see the warning
in the manual page).

As such, I'm closing this as "not a bug".
Discussion can continue by replying to this thread.

-assaf