Subject: Re: bug#18393: mm-view-pkcs7-verify ignores mml-smime-use

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 11:04:39 +0200

On 2019-09-25, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> (setq smime-CA-file "/tmp/carldssself.pem")
>
> I get a blank article buffer.

Same here.

> [...]
> (defun mm-view-pkcs7-verify (handle)
>    ...)
>
> because this is "signed", not "enveloped".  I'm not very familiar with
> this stuff...  but the mm-view-pkcs7-verify function just verifies the
> data and doesn't return anything, which explains why I'm getting an
> empty article buffer.  But why is this ever useful?  It seems odd,
> doesn't it?
>
> Is the -verify function also supposed to return the decoded text?
> (Which is "This is some sample content.".)

Function mm-view-pkcs7-verify calls (mm-insert-part handle), which
somehow deals with the text for subsequent display.  The search for
"Content-Type" suggests that this is only meant for multi-part
e-mails, for which it really works.  In this case, however, it
inserts the text among binary data, which seems to fail subsequently.

Best wishes
Jens