Subject: bug#18390: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: `split-window' error

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 12:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

> > Did you try repeatedly?  Please see the part of the bug thread
> > where I mention that the error occurs seemingly randomly - not
> > every time.  Maybe about 1/2 the time.
> >
> > Emacs behavior changed suddenly, around the time I mentioned.
> > From this working 100% of the time before that, it now works
> > only some of the time, and some of the time the bug is manifested.
> 
> Ah, in message #16 it was described as 100% reproducible,

Sorry for not being clear enough.  I meant that the bug as reported
(as manifesting only some of the time) is reproducible in those builds
(and not at all in the earlier builds).  IOW, the problem reported
is still as reported.

> so I didn't
> realize it was non-deterministic. After trying it a few more times, I
> did get the same error. In the error case I still get 2 frames, the
> normal-sized one as before, but the smaller frame shows only the hue
> buffer on the left, and blackness on the right. And there's a third
> frame with the *Backtrace*.

If you turn off `debug-on-error' then you should see just what I
described (no `*Backtrace*' frame).

> > You didn't get the error, so presumably your window was not too
> > small to split.  Otherwise, things are just as broken for you, it
> > seems.  Did you get any relevant messages in *Messages*?  What
> > happens if you try a larger or smaller font for `palette-font'?
> 
> Although the window/frame setup isn't quite right, I get the expected
> stuff in *Messages*:
> 
> Loading palette...
> Color: chocolate1, RGB: (1.0 0.4980392156862745 0.1411764705882353),
> HSV: (0.06925418569254185 0.8588235294117648 1.0)

What happens if you use a larger or smaller font?