Subject: bug#18390: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: `split-window' error

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 14:34:18 -0400

tag 18390 = moreinfo
quit

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Please present the minimum Lisp snippet that shows this semi-random
> behavior in recent Emacs versions, and we can then continue discussing
> this in constructive ways.

Yes, it seems this problem is very dependent on font and window size
configurations, so it's difficult to tell what's going on.

Below, I've include some answers to questions asked upthread, in case
they might be helpful.

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Could not reproduce here, with Windows 10. No windows were split, I
>> instead got 2 frames titled "Palette (Hue x Saturation)", a narrow one
>> and a normal sized one.
>
> Did you try repeatedly?  Please see the part of the bug thread
> where I mention that the error occurs seemingly randomly - not
> every time.  Maybe about 1/2 the time.
>
> Emacs behavior changed suddenly, around the time I mentioned.
> From this working 100% of the time before that, it now works
> only some of the time, and some of the time the bug is manifested.

Ah, in message #16 it was described as 100% reproducible, so I didn't
realize it was non-deterministic. After trying it a few more times, I
did get the same error. In the error case I still get 2 frames, the
normal-sized one as before, but the smaller frame shows only the hue
buffer on the left, and blackness on the right. And there's a third
frame with the *Backtrace*.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 17:33:41 -0400
>> Cc: Alan Third <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>
>> Could not reproduce here, with Windows 10. No windows were split, I
>> instead got 2 frames titled "Palette (Hue x Saturation)", a narrow one
>> and a normal sized one.
>
> What is the width, in columns, of the wider frame you get?

80, according to (frame-width). It's the same size as the initial
frame where *scratch* appears.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Interesting.  I'm using Windows 7.  Is this what `(frame-parameters)'
> tells you, for the font info?
>
> (font . "-outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1") (font-backend uniscribe gdi)

I have different fonts.

(font . "-outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")
(font-backend uniscribe gdi)

>
> What is the value of variable `palette-font'?  This is what mine is
> (by default, with emacs -Q):
>
> "-outline-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-5-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"

"-outline-Arial-normal-italic-normal-sans-5-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"

>
> You didn't get the error, so presumably your window was not too
> small to split.  Otherwise, things are just as broken for you, it
> seems.  Did you get any relevant messages in *Messages*?  What
> happens if you try a larger or smaller font for `palette-font'?

Although the window/frame setup isn't quite right, I get the expected
stuff in *Messages*:

Loading palette...
Color: chocolate1, RGB: (1.0 0.4980392156862745 0.1411764705882353),
HSV: (0.06925418569254185 0.8588235294117648 1.0)

>
> This what `C-h v features' shows, for me (nothing extra, just
> hexrgb.el and palette.el loaded):

Almost the same:

(thingatpt help-fns help-mode easymenu cus-start cus-load palette
eyedropper derived hexrgb cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)