Subject: bug#18390: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: `split-window' error

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 17:20:15 +0100

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 06:44:50PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 14:01:44 +0100
> > From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > 
> > I can’t see how you know it’s an 80 column window, could you explain
> > it to me?
> 
> The default width of an Emacs window displayed by "emacs -Q" is 80
> columns.  And that is the width of a window I see when I repeat Drew's
> recipe and get the same error signaled as in his report.

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were repeating it. I thought you could see
that in the backtrace output in the original bug report and wondered
why I couldn’t.

> > Looking at the code in palette.el, it requests a 115 character wide
> > frame, is it possible that Emacs will return a smaller than requested
> > frame?
> 
> I don't really know what palette.el is doing, but it could be that it
> doesn't let the Emacs frame time to resize itself before splitting the
> window.
> 
> Actually, adding a (sit-for 0) might be all that's needed, if this is
> the problem (which I'm not at all sure).

This makes some sense to me, palette.el isn’t doing that much between
creating the frame and splitting the windows.

> In any case, I once again ask the question: why should we assume it's
> a bug in Emacs, and not first try looking into what palette.el does?

That’s what I was trying to do.

-- 
Alan Third