Subject: bug#18375: 24.4.50; Emacs hangs X session manager logout in certain cases

From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 22:56:02 +0200

Hi.

2 sep 2014 kl. 20:25 skrev Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>:

>> I investigated a bit and think the reason has something to do with the
>> way the SM communication is tied to the first opened terminal.
> 
> Your analysis makes a lot of sense.
> 
>> If I may add, the current behaviour is rather weird to begin with. The
>> SM integration's purpose is to cleanly shutdown Emacs on logout, so it
>> should be tied to the entire process and not to a particular terminal.

No. The reason is to have Emacs restarted when the user logs in again.
Logout is no problem, the X connection will go away.

> Indeed, we have a problem there.  The `emacs --daemon' is not tied to
> a particular display, so it should not shutdown in response to such
> SM events.  OTOH, many users use "emacs --daemon" only for their
> current session.  So I can't think of any way to resolve this, short of
> making it a config var, like in your patch.
> 
> Looking at your patch, I like the idea of exposing the session-start/end
> to Elisp, but I know too little about this area to really review
> your patch.  Could someone else take a look at it?

Why not just skip all session manager interactions if run as a daemon?
You are technically not part of the session if the process can survive the session.

        Jan D.