Subject: 24.3; term.el error when cd a directory with Chinese name

From: Rangi Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:01:55 +0800

Steps to reproduce :

1. create a directory with Chinese name
         mkdir /tmp/測試

2. start emacs with `emacs -Q'

3. `M-x term'

4. inside term mode
         cd /tmp/測試

Result :

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such directory found via CDPATH 
environment variable")
   signal(error ("No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable"))
   error("No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable")
   cd("/tmp/\346\270\254\350\251\246")
   #[(string) "\306\232\203

It only happen if the directory is exist, for example :

     $ cd /tmp/測
     bash: cd: /tmp/測: No such file or directory

but not cd /tmp/測試

Rangi

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
of 2014-03-08 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
`configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
'--prefix=3D/usr' '--sharedstatedir=3D/var/lib' '--libexecdir=3D/usr/lib'
'--localstatedir=3D/var/lib' '--infodir=3D/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=3D/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=3Dyes'
'--enable-locallisppath=3D/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/2=
4.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-l= 

isp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-crt-dir=3D/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=3Dyes'
'--with-x-toolkit=3Dgtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=3Dx86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=3D-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=3Dssp-buffer-size=3D4 -Wformat -Werror=3Dformat-security -Wall'
'LDFLAGS=3D-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
'CPPFLAGS=3D-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3D2''

Important settings:
value of $LC_CTYPE: zh_TW.UTF-8
value of $LC_MONETARY: zh_TW.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: zh_TW.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: zh_TW.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=3Dgcin
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>=20
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>=20
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>=20
<backspace> e m <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace>=20
r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading 00debian-vars...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...
Error while loading 50dictionaries-common: Symbol's value as variable is 
vo=
id: debian-aspell-only-dictionary-alist
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-=
lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date china-util tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)