Subject: bug#18369: 24.4.50; interactive spec of `facemenu-add-face'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 15:52:07 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> The interactive use of this command is not as convenient as it could be.
> Is there a good reason for this?
>
> Why does the interactive spec use "*xFace: \nr" (reading a sexp, no
> completion etc.)?  Why does it not use `read-face-name', as does
> `facemenu-set-face' (which calls `facemenu-add-face')?

I find these functions odd.

`facemenu-set-face' just does this:

  (facemenu-add-new-face face)
  (facemenu-add-face face start end)

after reading a face name with `read-face-name'.  So it's a very thin
shim over `facemenu-add-face'.

`M-x facemenu-add-face RET foo RET' and nothing happened.  Then I did
`M-x facemenu-add-face RET bold RET', and it errored out saying

Invalid face reference: foo

Huh?

I have no idea what these two functions are supposed to be doing, but I
don't think...  they are doing...  whatever they should be doing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no