Subject: RE: bug#18367: 24.4.50; [PATCH] Text property `font-lock-ignore', to protect from font-lock

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

Let me try refreshing this.

It seems that people are mistaking adding a property to
`font-lock-extra-managed-props', or using `font-lock-face' instead of
`face', as a solution to the problem that the proposed patch fixes.

It is not.  I stated the essential difference in the emacs-devel
thread that is associated with this bug:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-08/msg00583.html

  What I am talking about is the opposite: Not giving font-lock
  control over additional, ad hoc highlighting, but taking font-lock
  control away, for given ad hoc highlighting.  I don't want turning
  font-lock on or off to affect the given highlighting at all.

  That's the point.  It's not that I'm looking for a way to let
  font-lock control some non-`font-lock-keywords' highlighting.
  That we can do already, using property `font-lock-face'.

And we can also do that already by adding a given property to
`font-lock-extra-managed-props'.

The point of the patch I sent is to let you really tell font-lock
"hands-off" anywhere you like, i.e., make it so that font-lock-mode
has no effect on the given text.

Again: "I don't want turning font-lock on or off to affect the given
highlighting at all."

So how about it?  How about applying the simple code change that
fixes this?