Subject: Re: bug#18366: 24.3.93; Definition of strnicmp needed for Cygwin-w32 build

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:49:25 -0400

Version: 24.3.94

On 8/30/2014 3:15 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:16:03 -0400
>> From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Cygwin's /usr/include/string.h, which comes from newlib, contains a
>> definition of strnicmp; this is needed for the Cygwin-w32 build.  That
>> definition has recently been dropped from newlib
>
> Why did they do such a thing?

https://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2014/msg00309.html

> The proper place for this kind of thing is src/conf_post.h, which will
> also make sure you won't need to include cygw32.h in every file that
> uses that function.  (You'd probably need to condition this on
> HAVE_NTGUI in addition to __CYGWIN__.)

OK.

> I'd also suggest to consider whether to make this a macro or an inline
> function, and perhaps also condition that on the Cygwin or newlib's
> version rather than on #ifndef (what if newlib will add a function by
> that name?).  But this is up to you.

It was added to newlib in 1977 (as a macro), and the discussion in the 
URL above explains why it has long been obsolete from Cygwin's point of 
view.  So I think I'll leave it as a macro.

>> Is it OK for the release branch?
>
> Yes, with the above taken care of.

Thanks.  Done, as revision 117467.

Ken