Subject: Re: bug#18353: 24.4.50; unicode chars in mode-line on tty

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:15:41 +0300

> From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:58:37 -0600
> 
> Eli> Pressing F10 should drop down the File menu.  Then you can navigate
> Eli> them with arrow keys or C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p.  To select, press RET, to
> Eli> exit without selecting, press C-g.
> 
> Thanks.  Terminal menus seem to work fine.

So this is probably a different problem.

> Eli> Not even as a literal "\u26C3" string?  That would be strange,
> Eli> indeed.  What do you get in the *scratch* buffer if you type
> Eli> "C-x 8 RET 26C3 RET"?  Also, what is your terminal-coding-system?
> 
> When I type that I just see a space, in xterm.  Maybe there's a font
> problem.

Yes, most probably.

> terminal-coding-system returns utf-8-unix.

What happens if you say

  C-x RET t iso-safe RET

?  Do you then see \u26c3 instead of that character, in xterm?  Does
it have the right color?

One other idea I have is to dump to termscript the commands Emacs
sends to the terminal, and then look at them.

Can someone else see this on the XFCE terminal (I don't have access to
a system with it)?