Subject: bug#18353: 24.4.50; unicode chars in mode-line on tty

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:25:15 -0600

Invoke "emacs -Q -nw".  I used the XFCE terminal.

Now evaluate

(setq-default mode-line-format (propertize (string 32 32 #x26c3) 'face 'error))

This sets the mode line to two spaces followed by an unusual character.

For me the spaces are correctly displayed as red.
However the following character is only partly red, and partly white.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-08-25 on bapiya
Repository revision: 117737 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x k <return> C-h f <return> C-x o C-n C-f <return> 
C-x 1 C-h v c o m m e n t - a u o t <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> t o <tab> <return> C-x b <return> C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-a C-s c o m m e n t - a u t o C-w C-w C-w 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-x b <return> C-x 1 C-x b 
<return> C-n C-s C-s C-s C-a C-s t c l - a u t o - 
C-v C-s C-s C-l C-x v v M-b <M-backspace> C-x C-s C-x 
v v d o n ' t SPC u s e SPC t c l - a u t o - f M-/ 
C-c C-c C-z n C-z n C-u C-n C-n C-e C-x C-e C-x C-f 
M-p <return> C-h v a u t o - f i l <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
c o m m e n t - a u t <tab> <return> C-x k <return> 
C-x 1 C-f C-f C-l C-z n C-z n C-h f f l y s p <tab> 
p r <tab> o <tab> g <tab> <return> C-x 1 M-< C-s f 
l y s p e l l - p r o <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-r C-r C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-z n n 
n n = n n C-z n C-z n = n SPC = <switch-frame> C-s 
p r o p e r t i z e C-a C-z n <backspace> < = n n SPC 
SPC <backspace> n SPC n = n = n = C-u C-n C-u C-n p 
SPC = n SPC = <backspace> <backspace> = n = c SPC l 
s y M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/tromey/.bbdb...
Wrote /home/tromey/.bbdb
Saving Gnus registry (328 entries) to ~/.gnus.registry.eioio...
Saving Gnus registry (size 328) to ~/.gnus.registry.eioio...done
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/css-mode-1.0/css-mode hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(tcl shadow emacsbug calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs debug xterm
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs gnus-fun whitespace gdb-shell find-file make-mode idutils
derived cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds smerge-mode
bug-reference goto-addr ido dabbrev log-edit pcvs-util add-log copyright
diff-mode jka-compr eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe shr-color
color help-mode mailalias bbdb-sc supercite easy-mmode regi mail-hist
nnir flow-fill misearch multi-isearch gnus-html url-cache mm-url
bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks vc-arch vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs mule-util sort gnus-cite smiley qp shr mm-archive
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com warnings cl
gnutls network-stream starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry
eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin bookmark
helm-locate helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-external helm-utils dired helm cl-macs gv flyspell ispell eldoc
diminish projectile edmacro kmacro pkg-info find-func lisp-mnt epl grep
compile dash s appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs which-func imenu minimap autorevert filenotify cus-start
cus-load status erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies
erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache thingatpt pp advice help-fns vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb timezone ange-ftp
comint ansi-color ring server savehist dwarf-mode-autoloads
gdb-shell-autoloads jabber-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads
pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info easymenu weblogger-autoloads package
bbdb-autoloads time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 849453 111865)
 (symbols 48 102971 161)
 (miscs 40 22350 6553)
 (strings 32 316892 32509)
 (string-bytes 1 6928691)
 (vectors 16 98216)
 (vector-slots 8 2092675 147829)
 (floats 8 622 1093)
 (intervals 56 54927 2202)
 (buffers 976 91)
 (heap 1024 251219 75022))

Tom