Subject: bug#18335: 24.4.50; Typo: title of `enriched.txt' is `enriched.el'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:32:37 -0700 (PDT)

Presumably, someone renamed the file and forgot to update the title at
the top of the text.  This oublie predates even Emacs 20, it seems, for
there the file is named `enriched.doc' (it is the same file, with the
same name, for Emacs 24.3 and prior) but the title remains
`enriched.el'.

But I wonder about this: The file was presumably originally
`enriched.el', and so presumably in Emacs Lisp mode.  The Emacs manual,
node `Enriched Text' currently says this:

 Enriched mode is typically used with Text mode (*note Text Mode::).
 It is _not_ compatible with Font Lock mode, which is used by many major
 modes, including most programming language modes, for syntax
 highlighting (*note Font Lock::).  Unlike Enriched mode, Font Lock mode
 assigns text properties automatically, based on the current buffer
 contents; those properties are not saved to disk.

I would like to know more about just what this incompatibility amounts
to.  This text is new with Emacs 24.4, and there is no more explanation
than that.  Why was this added?  Why not let users know what it means?

If you mean only that font-lock highlighting interferes with
enriched-mode highlighting, that is one thing - and in this,
enriched-mode is no different from other highlighting using
text-property `face'.  If you something stronger wrt incompatibility,
then please document what it is.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-28 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117431 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''