Subject: bug#18330: 24.4.50; gnus and "Waiting for async article..."

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:54:39 -0600

I use gnus for imap and nntp reading.

While reading newgroups on gmane, gnus will periodically say

    Waiting for async article...

Then it seems to hang.
Interrupting the hang and re-reading the desired article makes it start
working again.

I can't reproduce it reliably but I encounter this at least once per
news session, and often more frequently.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-08-25 on bapiya
Repository revision: 117737 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-agent-summary-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> g n <tab> 
g <tab> d <tab> <M-backspace> b i n <tab> <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> g <backspace> g c <tab> b i <M-backspace> 
<tab> <tab> g c c <tab> <tab> l i b j <tab> M a k <tab> 
i <tab> <return> C-s t o p _ b u i l d d i r C-a C-h 
i d m a u t o m a <tab> <return> C-s t o p _ b u i 
l d C-s d i r C-s C-s C-s C-a <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
q <switch-frame> SPC 2 K i SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC 
= n SPC = d d d d C-u d SPC SPC = n n n n n n q M-g 
M-g M-g M-g C-u C-p SPC q = <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
q = q SPC d d d SPC n SPC n n q M-g C-l n M-g p n M-g 
M-g p SPC d q n n n n M-g p SPC SPC SPC SPC M SPC C-u 
C-p n C-u <return> <return> M S-SPC C-n n SPC n y z 
n C-g C-g q n SPC SPC SPC q C-u C-u C-p C-u C-p p M-g 
M-g C-u C-u C-p C-l C-u C-n C-n C-u C-n C-u C-n C-u 
C-n C-l C-u C-n p M-g p SPC 9 5 <return> C-z n C-x 
C-f C-g C-x k <return> C-x C-f <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> r e <tab> <tab> a d <tab> <return> C-x 
C-f e l t <tab> <return> C-v C-v C-v <tab> <switch-frame> 
C-v C-u C-u C-n C-v C-l C-p C-p C-u C-p n n = M-x r 
e p o r t - e m <tab> <return> g n C-g C-z n C-x b 
* M e s <tab> <return> C-z n M-x M-p <return>

Recent messages:
 
noticed "Alin Soare"
Auto-saving...
z is undefined
Quit [2 times]
noticed "Isaac Morland"
Auto-saving...
Quit
Making completion list...
Waiting for async article...
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/css-mode-1.0/css-mode hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(shadow emacsbug bug-reference make-mode jka-compr flow-fill gnus-html
xml mule-util bbdb-sc supercite regi mail-hist nnir bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks
vc-arch vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs sort gnus-cite
smiley mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com
warnings cl gv gnutls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry eieio-base
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win view sgml-mode
network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw copyright dabbrev whitespace
diff-mode easy-mmode help-mode misearch multi-isearch add-log vc-bzr
url-queue shr-color color mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
url-file url-dired url-cache url-auth eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap shr browse-url
flyspell ispell eldoc diminish projectile edmacro kmacro pkg-info
find-func lisp-mnt epl grep compile dash s appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs which-func imenu minimap autorevert
filenotify cus-start cus-load status erc-services erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-fill erc-stamp
erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt pp advice help-fns
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs bbdb timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist
dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads jabber-autoloads
lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info easymenu
weblogger-autoloads package bbdb-autoloads time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 604489 101186)
 (symbols 48 91090 13)
 (miscs 40 20598 1954)
 (strings 32 273978 68417)
 (string-bytes 1 5593095)
 (vectors 16 83457)
 (vector-slots 8 1935787 57192)
 (floats 8 493 1107)
 (intervals 56 11635 11911)
 (buffers 976 58)
 (heap 1024 113646 12407))

Tom