Subject: bug#18324: closed (Re: bug#18324: plots hang in inferior octave mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 03:55:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18324: plots hang in inferior octave mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18324: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18324
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18324: plots hang in inferior octave mode
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:54:11 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

John Lawrence Aspden wrote:

> GNU Emacs 24.3.1
> GNU Octave, version 3.8.1
>
> Start Emacs
> $ emacs -Q
>
> Start an Inferior Octave Process
> M-x run-octave
>
> Octave Commands to produce plot
> x=1:10
> plot(x)

Thanks for the report.
By experiment, this is already fixed for the next release of Emacs.
Try it out at
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.3.93.tar.xz 

(Plain M-x run-octave hangs for me in 24.3.)

> In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
>  of 2014-06-06 on barber, modified by Debian

Subject: plots hang in inferior octave mode
From: John Lawrence Aspden <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:43:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, I'm finding that plot windows freeze running octave in inferior-octave mode

GNU Emacs 24.3.1
GNU Octave, version 3.8.1

Start Emacs
$ emacs -Q

Start an Inferior Octave Process
M-x run-octave

Octave Commands to produce plot
x=1:10
plot(x)

Plot window is frozen. The same commands entered directly into octave
in a terminal or octave started in emacs shell mode work fine.

Thanks, John.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-06-06 on barber, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11600000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Inferior Octave

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r u n - c o <backspace> <backspace> o c t a v e
<return> x = 1 : 1 0 <return> p l o t ( x ) <return>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <up> <down> M-p <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s
- b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
History item: 1

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils octave-inf comint ansi-color ring octave-mod smie
easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)