Subject: Re: bug#18305: lack of central info dir file

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:00:31 +0200

Hi, Brandon!

Brandon Invergo <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I've just successfully installed the Guix system on a spare computer
> (yay!).  I'll send some bug reports as they roll in.  First up...

Cool.  :-)

> $HOME/.guix-profile/share/info/dir always points to the dir file of the
> most recently installed package.  Instead, normally a dir file exists
> independently of any package, and each package's entry is installed in
> it via install-info.  So, now, for example, in info I only see Emacs'
> entries but not Recutils, Coreutils or any of the other packages I've
> installed.

Yes, that’s a known issue.

This has to be addressed in ‘profile-derivation’, which currently just
computes the union of all the installed packages.  It should run
‘install-info’ in addition to that to build the new ‘dir’.  I’ll see if
I can get around to fixing it, if nobody beats me at it.

> Is it possible to remove or block the symlinking of each package's dir
> in favor of installing to a user-local dir file in the profile?  Or
> would this interfere with the no-side-effects nature of Guix?

Hopefully the above answers your question?

Thanks,
Ludo’.