Subject: bug#18305: closed (Re: bug#18305: lack of central info dir file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 20:39:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18305: lack of central info dir file

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18305: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18305
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18305: lack of central info dir file
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Brandon Invergo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 19:22:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is now fixed.  Feedback welcome!

Specifically, ‘profile-derivation’ has support to build the profile’s
‘dir’ file by running ‘install-info’.

For the record, I initially wanted to come up with a more generic design
for things that need to be done at profile build time.  I haven’t come
up with such a design, but Info was going to be the main consumer
anyway, so I’m happy with the simpler approach.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: lack of central info dir file
From: Brandon Invergo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:20:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've just successfully installed the Guix system on a spare computer
(yay!).  I'll send some bug reports as they roll in.  First up...

$HOME/.guix-profile/share/info/dir always points to the dir file of the
most recently installed package.  Instead, normally a dir file exists
independently of any package, and each package's entry is installed in
it via install-info.  So, now, for example, in info I only see Emacs'
entries but not Recutils, Coreutils or any of the other packages I've
installed.

Is it possible to remove or block the symlinking of each package's dir
in favor of installing to a user-local dir file in the profile?  Or
would this interfere with the no-side-effects nature of Guix?

-brandon

-- 
Brandon Invergo
http://brandon.invergo.net