Subject: Re: bug#18302: MSYS2 build issues

From: Karol Ostrovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:18:20 +0200

Hello Eli,

thank you for the help.  As for the item 3: as far as I understand the
situation with xpm in MinGW-w64 is the same as in Cygwin.  There are
two packages providing xpm, and it is the package that is installed in
the non-standard place that must be used for Emacs native Windows
build.  Thus, I don't see why the same solution that was approved for
Cygwin cannot be used for MinGW-w64.

Best regards,

Karol

On 23 August 2014 10:57, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:18:11 +0200
>> From: Karol Ostrovsky <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>, Chris Zheng <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>
>> I will try to summarise the situation, and I am attaching my updated
>> solution proposal for this particular bug:
>>
>> 1. MSYS2 uname must be handled properly, and that is fixed in the new
>> proposed patch.  I disagree with not renaming opsys from mingw32 to
>> mingw, since mingw32 string is used in other places in the same file
>> and it means something else there, which I find possibly confusing.
>> But this change is not in my new patch.
>>
>> 2. -mtune is back to what it was with a minimal change required for
>> MSYS2+MinGW-w64 uname handling.
>>
>> 3. Include path for xpm in MSYS2+MinGW-w64 is handled in the same way
>> as in Cygwin.  Perhaps, the same type of comment as was added for
>> Cygwin should be added for MSYS2+MinGW-w64.
>>
>> 4. A loop is added in the recipe for emacs.exe to handle
>> bootstrap-emacs.exe busy problem.
>
> Thanks.  I installed items 1, 2, and 4, but not item 3.
>
> If you think we should do something about the xpm.h header, then
> please try this alternative solution: copy the xpm.h header file into
> the X11 subdirectory of your GCC 'include' directory (the one where
> you have all the standard C header files), then try configuring and
> building Emacs without adding the "-I/mingw64/include/noX" switch to
> CPPFLAGS.  If that doesn't work, please show the error messages you
> get from the compiler, and let's take it from there.
>
> If, for some reason, you think that copying xpm.h to include/X11/xpm.h
> is not appropriate, please explain why you think so.