Subject: bug#18258: t0251-gpt-unicode.sh fails when the C.UTF-8 locale is unavailable

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:25:49 -0400

Phillip Susi <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/13/2014 7:53 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello,
>> 
>> t0251-gpt-unicode.sh requires the C.UTF-8 locale and fails if it
>> isn’t available.
>> 
>> What about:
>> 
>> 1. Exiting with 77 when the locale is unavailable?
>> 
>> 2. Choosing another locale, such as en_US.utf8?  As of GNU libc
>> 2.19, C.UTF-8 (or any other spelling) does not exist.
>
> How can the C locale possibly not exist on a system that is not
> totally broken?  It is the default and fallback locale when you don't
> have any locales installed.

C.UTF-8 is a non-standard Debian extension.  It is not available in
upstream GNU libc, and it is absent from other popular distributions
such as Fedora and Arch.

See:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=902094
  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32296
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=522776

      Mark