Subject: bug#18240: 24.3; sql-postgres password with cygwin psql

From: Mark Wilkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:50:16 -0500

Starting emacs 24.3.1 with -Q, sql.el version: 3.4

1. Set sql-postgres-program to psql from cygwin:

     (setq sql-postgres-program "c:/cygwin/bin/psql.exe")

2. Run sql-postgres
3. At prompts, enter user (postgres), database (postgres), server
   (localhost).

4. Wait for sql-delay seconds. Login...done.
   Buffer is *SQL* (SQLi[Postgres]:run).
   Prompt for password still not seen.  This is the problem.
   psql prompt not seen.

5. <RET> in that buffer yields

     Password for user postgres:
     psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

   and buffer's process dies.

However, repeating steps 2 through 4, doing send-invisible and
entering the password, the process remains and accepts input and
produces psql output (still no psql prompt, though). This does not
work with Windows psql.exe.

This also occurs in emacs-24-20140526-154828-w32-bin where sql.el 3.4
is the default version.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSDATA: C:/emacs-24.3/etc
  value of $EMACSDOC: C:/emacs-24.3/etc
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH:
C:/emacs-24.3/site-lisp;C:/emacs-24.3/../site-lisp;C:/emacs-24.3/lisp;C:/emacs-24.3/leim
  value of $EMACSPATH: C:/emacs-24.3/bin
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t SPC e m a c s SPC b SPC <re
turn>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
c:/emacs-24.3/site-lisp/sql hides c:/emacs-24.3/lisp/progmodes/sql

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32 multi-tty emacs)