Subject: bug#18229: LIBS vs LIBOBJS in src/Makefile.in

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 14:18:52 +0100

Trying to pass an extra library to configure using LIBS, as configure
--help says I can, I found it did nothing, and traced it to
src/Makefile.in, which deliberately ignores LIBS. This dates back 14 years,
and whatever it was intended to fix no longer seems to be a problem. May I
install the following patch? With the patch applied, supplying LIBS on the
configure command-line worked exactly as it should.

--- src/Makefile.in    2014-07-13 15:50:35 +0000
+++ src/Makefile.in    2014-08-09 11:34:12 +0000
@@ -44,10 +44,7 @@
 # BSD doesn't have it as a default.
 @SET_MAKE@
 MKDIR_P = @MKDIR_P@
-# Don't use LIBS.  configure puts stuff in it that either shouldn't be
-# linked with Emacs or is duplicated by the other stuff below.
-# LIBS = @LIBS@
-LIBOBJS = @LIBOBJS@
+LIBS = @LIBS@

 lispsource = $(top_srcdir)/lisp
 lib = ../lib
@@ -388,7 +385,7 @@

 ## List of object files that make-docfile should not be told about.
 otherobj= $(TERMCAP_OBJ) $(PRE_ALLOC_OBJ) $(GMALLOC_OBJ) $(RALLOC_OBJ) \
-  $(POST_ALLOC_OBJ) $(WIDGET_OBJ) $(LIBOBJS)
+  $(POST_ALLOC_OBJ) $(WIDGET_OBJ) $(LIBS)

 ## All object files linked into temacs.  $(VMLIMIT_OBJ) should be first.
 ## (On MinGW, firstfile.o should be before vm-limit.o.)

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org