Subject: bug#18227: closed (Re: bug#18227: 24.3.92; Annoying warning message when emacs is built with lucid X toolkit)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:08:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18227: 24.3.92; Annoying warning message when emacs is built with lucid X toolkit

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18227: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18227
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18227: 24.3.92; Annoying warning message when emacs is built with lucid X toolkit
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:07:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi.

9 aug 2014 kl. 07:43 skrev Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>:

> 
> Hi,
> 
> when building emacs with lucid, after running emacs -Q I have a message:
> 
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
> 

That is because the old Xt-based toolkit don't understand Xft fonts and still use core X fonts.
The font above is the default for the Emacs widget, but you don't have it installed.
Emacs actually never uses the default, so we can remove it (done in trunk).  I guess at some point we did use the default, but no more. 

> This doesn't happen when building with default X toolkit (gtk).
> 

Not Xt-based, so no problem.

	Jan D.

> 
> 
> In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.6 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
> of 2014-07-15 on dell-14z
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
> System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
> 
> Configured using:
> `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf
> --without-gsettings'
> 
> Important settings:
>  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
>  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
> 
> Major mode: Lisp Interaction
> 
> Minor modes in effect:
>  psession-mode: t
>  golden-ratio-mode: t
>  winner-mode: t
>  global-undo-tree-mode: t
>  undo-tree-mode: t
>  auto-image-file-mode: t
>  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
>  show-paren-mode: t
>  display-time-mode: t
>  recentf-mode: t
>  savehist-mode: t
>  eldoc-mode: t
>  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
>  helm-mode: t
>  helm-descbinds-mode: t
>  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
>  helm-adaptive-mode: t
>  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
>  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
>  tooltip-mode: t
>  file-name-shadow-mode: t
>  global-font-lock-mode: t
>  font-lock-mode: t
>  auto-composition-mode: t
>  auto-encryption-mode: t
>  auto-compression-mode: t
>  column-number-mode: t
>  line-number-mode: t
>  transient-mark-mode: t
> 
> Recent input:
> <f11> s c <down> <down> <return> M-x r e p o r t <
> return>
> 
> Recent messages:
> Loading em-prompt...done
> Loading em-script...done
> Loading em-unix...done
> Restoring buffers...
> Setting up indent for shell type bash
> Indentation variables are now local.
> Indentation setup for shell type bash
> Restoring buffers...66%
> Here is not Git/Mercurial work tree
> Restoring buffers...done
> 
> Load-path shadows:
> ~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
> /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.92/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq
> 
> Features:
> (shadow epa-mail mule-util emacsbug helm-command vc-rcs vc-git sh-script
> smie executable naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist
> em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias align-let
> git-gutter server psession golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff
> slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy
> slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
> slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
> slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
> slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
> gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode image-file xdvi-search
> preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix
> pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp
> helm-eval python eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time recentf
> tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e
> mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view
> mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark
> mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about
> mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
> mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo
> config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode timezone
> w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
> w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail dired-async
> iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus
> gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect ledger-config ledger
> esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell
> esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs
> pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info hyperspec
> slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension
> emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
> emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
> emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
> emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
> emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
> emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
> emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
> emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
> emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
> org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
> holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
> org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
> mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
> ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
> bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
> org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
> easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
> ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
> org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
> helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
> helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
> pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
> helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net
> browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
> url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
> helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
> wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
> ansi-color ring helm-locate helm cl-macs gv vc vc-dispatcher helm-config
> helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio
> byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
> mail-prsvr password-cache package time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
> w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
> cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
> lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
> fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
> menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
> syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
> vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
> romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
> case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
> loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
> sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
> hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
> gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
> x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)
> 
> Memory information:
> ((conses 16 477339 34085)
> (symbols 48 54264 0)
> (miscs 40 267 748)
> (strings 32 128586 15719)
> (string-bytes 1 3786921)
> (vectors 16 45783)
> (vector-slots 8 784442 13157)
> (floats 8 2128 206)
> (intervals 56 2646 24)
> (buffers 960 74)
> (heap 1024 52211 3186))
> -- 
> Thierry
> Get my Gnupg key:
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997 
> 
> 

Subject: 24.3.92; Annoying warning message when emacs is built with lucid X toolkit
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 07:43:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

when building emacs with lucid, after running emacs -Q I have a message:

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct

This doesn't happen when building with default X toolkit (gtk).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.6 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-07-15 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f11> s c <down> <down> <return> M-x r e p o r t <
return>

Recent messages:
Loading em-prompt...done
Loading em-script...done
Loading em-unix...done
Restoring buffers...
Setting up indent for shell type bash
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Restoring buffers...66%
Here is not Git/Mercurial work tree
Restoring buffers...done

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.92/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow epa-mail mule-util emacsbug helm-command vc-rcs vc-git sh-script
smie executable naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist
em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias align-let
git-gutter server psession golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff
slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode image-file xdvi-search
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix
pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp
helm-eval python eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time recentf
tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e
mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark
mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about
mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo
config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail dired-async
iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus
gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect ledger-config ledger
esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info hyperspec
slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm-locate helm cl-macs gv vc vc-dispatcher helm-config
helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache package time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 477339 34085)
 (symbols 48 54264 0)
 (miscs 40 267 748)
 (strings 32 128586 15719)
 (string-bytes 1 3786921)
 (vectors 16 45783)
 (vector-slots 8 784442 13157)
 (floats 8 2128 206)
 (intervals 56 2646 24)
 (buffers 960 74)
 (heap 1024 52211 3186))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997