Subject: bug#18221: Source of mit-scheme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:50:40 -0400

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 03:22:28PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> The problem here is that the "c" belongs in a different place in the
>> filename than where the "i386" or "x86-64" goes.  The filenames are:
>>   mit-scheme-9.2-i386.tar.gz
>>   mit-scheme-9.2-x86-64.tar.gz
>>   mit-scheme-c-9.2.tar.gz
>
> There is also mit-scheme-9.2.tar.gz; I thought this would need to be taken
> on other systems. But maybe this is the non-boot-strappable source code?

Yes, I believe mit-scheme-9.2.tar.gz can only be built if you already
have an executable copy of mit-scheme with which to build it.

> Second, do we not need to replace
>    %current-system
> by
>    (or (%current-target-system)(%current-system))

Hmm, this would be needed to support cross-compilation for typical
packages, but I suspect that the process is quite a bit different for
mit-scheme.  I'd be very surprised if it was that simple.

For now, I suggest that we focus on getting mit-scheme working on mips
with native compilation.  Later, if someone is motivated, they can look
into what's needed to cross-compile mit-scheme.

      Thanks!
        Mark