Subject: bug#18199: 24.4.50; tramp uses wrong arguments to nc

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 11:27:28 +0200

Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now that I've modified my local tramp to remove the -p, I find that
> though nc -l 51257 does not give any errors, it isn't actually listening
> on the port either.  I'm not sure what it is doing.

As said in my other message to Andreas, busybox might not be compiled
with the nc listening feature.

Anyway, I've committed a patch which allows you to overwrite the "nc -l
..." arguments. Tramp's manual says

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
     The ‘nc’ command will be used with the ‘nc’ method.  On the remote
     host, a listener will be installed.  Unfortunately, the command
     line syntax for this has been changed with the different ‘busybox’
     versions.  TRAMP uses the following syntax (see ‘tramp-methods’):

          # nc -l -p 42

     If your remote ‘nc’ refuses to accept the ‘-p’ parameter, you could
     overwrite the syntax with the following form:

          (add-to-list
           'tramp-connection-properties
           `(,(regexp-quote "192.168.0.1") "remote-copy-args" (("-l") ("%r"))))

     with ‘192.168.0.1’ being the IP address of your remote host (*note
     Predefined connection information::).
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.