Subject: bug#18199: closed (Re: bug#18199: 24.4.50; tramp uses wrong arguments to nc)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 15:38:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18199: 24.4.50; tramp uses wrong arguments to nc

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18199: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18199
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18199: 24.4.50; tramp uses wrong arguments to nc
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 23:36:50 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 18199 wontfix
close 18199
thanks

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Well, as you might guess I have tested this with my own equipment. My
>> silly router runs a more recent version of busybox, which requires the
>> "-p" prefix for nc's port specification:
>
> It's more likely a BusyBox configure option, since the version I have
> (v1.19.4 from openWRT) doesn't even accept -l.

Now that I've modified my local tramp to remove the -p, I find that
though nc -l 51257 does not give any errors, it isn't actually listening
on the port either.  I'm not sure what it is doing.

Subject: 24.4.50; tramp uses wrong arguments to nc
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 00:01:44 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When connecting to a Busybox/Linux based router with tramp's new nc method,
the file transfer fails.  Below is the relevant debug log:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
///3359aa65e9a4645eb0b84d831a25d5c2#$
23:26:29.200991 tramp-send-command (6) # nc -l -p 51257 </etc/TZ &
23:26:29.250828 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) # 

///3359aa65e9a4645eb0b84d831a25d5c2#$
23:26:29.251550 tramp-send-command (6) # netstat -l | grep -q :51257
23:26:29.308484 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) # 
BusyBox v1.6.1 (2011-05-25 14:47:48 CST) multi-call binary

Usage: 
nc [IPADDR PORTNUM]

Open a pipe to IP:port

[1] + Done(1)                    nc -l -p 51257 0</etc/TZ
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the usage message from BusyBox seems to suggest it does not
accept any options, it does in fact accept the -l option.  It is the -p
option that is a problem here.  The manpage for the full BSD nc command
says the following:

     -l      Used to specify that nc should listen for an incoming connection
             rather than initiate a connection to a remote host.  It is an
             error to use this option in conjunction with the -p, -s, or -z
             options.  Additionally, any timeouts specified with the -w option
             are ignored.

The actual command required is

   nc -l 51257 </etc/TZ &

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-08-05 on wanchan
Repository revision: 117648 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_NZ.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_NZ.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_NZ.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill

Recent input:
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <escape> w 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down> <left> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-s n c SPC 
<down> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <escape> w <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <escape> w <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Tramp: Inserting `/nc:[email-masked]:/etc/TZ'...failed
File exists, but cannot be read

Tramp: Checking `vc-registered' for /nc:[email-masked]:/etc/TZ...done
File exists, but cannot be read
Mark set [10 times]
<left-fringe> <mouse-5> is undefined
<left-fringe> <double-mouse-5> is undefined
Mark set [4 times]
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars google-oauth emacsbug tramp-cmds
misearch multi-isearch vc-bzr noutline outline view cus-edit mule-util
sort gnus-cite smiley shr-color color shr browse-url mm-archive
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder
utf-7 epa-file epa derived epg gnutls network-stream starttls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail cl-macs dired rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region
mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat cl flycheck find-func help-mode
rx subr-x pcase dash bbdb-ext-autoloads calfw-gcal-autoloads
doctags-autoloads edmacro kmacro org-cua-dwim-autoloads info
vcard-autoloads package tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
auth-source password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice jka-compr delsel paren recentf
tree-widget gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib time cua-base cus-start cus-load
easy-mmode semantic/db-mode semantic/db gv eieio-base semantic/idle
semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt
semantic/util-modes easymenu semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core mode-local cedet org-loaddefs server time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 318131 45985)
 (symbols 48 39348 1)
 (miscs 40 345 504)
 (strings 32 80886 11308)
 (string-bytes 1 2508747)
 (vectors 16 40101)
 (vector-slots 8 1413448 210541)
 (floats 8 467 633)
 (intervals 56 3071 230)
 (buffers 976 28)
 (heap 1024 76100 1461))