Subject: bug#18198: Gnus fails to read ~/.newsrc with group names which are not symbols

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:05:50 +0000

>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]> writes:

[…]

 >> Here, the “group” field of .newsrc is read as an Emacs Lisp
 >> expression.  Which may result either in an error, or, in the case of
 >> [Hello]/World – and, similarly, (Hello)/World – in only the leading
 >> [Hello] or (Hello) being actually read.

 > Well, "[Hello]/World" isn't a valid newsgroup name,

	Yet (Hello)/World is.  (Per the newsgroup-name and wildmat-exact
	productions given in section 9.8 of RFC 3977.)

 > and I think only newsgroups are supposed to be in ~/.newsrc?  How did
 > you get such a group name there?

	I didn’t.  The person who brought this issue to IRC has
	apparently used something like (nnimap "imap.gmail.com") for
	gnus-select-method.

	Though indeed, I know of no reason /not/ to set
	gnus-save-newsrc-file to nil in this case.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A