Subject: bug#18196: 24.4.50; crash when setting face background in terminal frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 17:08:11 +0200

> Steps to reproduce:
 > 1. emacs -Q
 > 2. M-: server-start
 > 3. emacsclient -nw

Easily reproducible.

 > The dimensions of the terminal with the emacsclient are 134 cols and 38
 > lines (according to tput cols and tput lines). The dimensions of the
 > terminal window (including scroll bar and 1px window border on all
 > sides) should be 960x540 (1/4 of a 1920x1080 screen). I don't know the
 > exact width of the scroll bar, so I can't easily give you the dimensions
 > of the "interior" of the terminal. I can also reproduce the issue with a
 > terminal smaller than this.

Hopefully this was a trivial bug which tried to apply the minimum pixel
height of your server root window (some few lines multiplied by your
default character height, I get a value of 72 here) to the terminal
window.  This can easily exceed the capabilities of the terminal window
(which is clearly less than 72 lines here).  I checked in a fix.  Please
try again with the latest trunk and the last patch I sent you (provided
it still applies).

In any case this raises a general question for TTYs: How to proceed when
the terminal window is made so small that the Emacs windows won't fit
any more in their frame?  This is an unlikely situation and we earlier
handled it by deleting all windows but the frame's selected window.  I
suppose I have to do that now again :-(

Thanks for the illustrative caps, martin