Subject: Re: bug#18721: 25.0.50; choose major mode from .dir-locals.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:00:11 +0200

Tom Tromey <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars> I think everybody agreed that this was a good feature to add (with Eli's
> Lars> tweaks), but as far as I can tell, it was never added.  Tom, would it be
> Lars> possible for you to re-spin this patch for Emacs 28?
>
> Doubtful, but it's fine by me if someone takes it over.  I don't recall
> who objected or why, but someone didn't like the approach I took and
> requested changes, so whoever does it would have to navigate this.

I've now respun the patch for Emacs 28, and it seems to work fine, and I
think everybody agreed that this was useful functionality.

There was some discussion about whether to introduce a new dir-locals
element for this, or just use the normal variable-setting thing.  As Tom
said, the normal thing is awkward to use here (because of the
buffer-local thing), so I think Tom's approach here is the best,
overall.

So I've now pushed this to Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no