Subject: Re: bug#18183: 24.3; table-fixed-width-mode fails with kill/yank

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 20:35:39 +0100

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> My understanding is that at this point we have four outstanding problems:
>
> 1) We are both reporting that the bug is fixed when editing a table.el
>    table outside or org-mode, *BUT* we are reporting conflicting results
>    when using the patch in an org-mode C-c ' editing session: I'm
>    reporting that the bug remains and you're reporting that the bug is
>    fixed there also.

That's what I seemed to see when I tried it, but perhaps we're doing it
in different ways.  What's your recipe to reproduce the bug?

> 2) You do agree that in that the org-mode edit buffer loses the state of
>    table-fixed-width-mode from the parent buffer, and needs to be
>    manually set. This is a bug; it should remember its state.

I'm not sure -- the editing happens in a different buffer, and toggling
it just there might make sense.  But I have no opinion, really.

> 3) We are both reporting another secondary bug that when
>    table-fixed-width-mode is nil, an org-mode edit will incorrectly
>    line-wrap small words, ie maintain fixed-width cells even though
>    table-fixed-width-mode is nil.

That's not a bug -- table-fixed-width-mode is only about wrapping long
words, and should have no effect at all on short words, one way or
another.  (And it doesn't seem to have.)

> 4) We haven't committed the patch yet for the secondary bug that POINT
>    was returning properly after an aborted org-mode edit session.

I think I've forgotten what that bug was about.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no