Subject: bug#18183: 24.3; table-fixed-width-mode fails with kill/yank

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 06:53:09 -0500

My understanding is that at this point we have four outstanding problems:

1) We are both reporting that the bug is fixed when editing a table.el
   table outside or org-mode, *BUT* we are reporting conflicting results
   when using the patch in an org-mode C-c ' editing session: I'm
   reporting that the bug remains and you're reporting that the bug is
   fixed there also.

2) You do agree that in that the org-mode edit buffer loses the state of
   table-fixed-width-mode from the parent buffer, and needs to be
   manually set. This is a bug; it should remember its state.

3) We are both reporting another secondary bug that when
   table-fixed-width-mode is nil, an org-mode edit will incorrectly
   line-wrap small words, ie maintain fixed-width cells even though
   table-fixed-width-mode is nil.

4) We haven't committed the patch yet for the secondary bug that POINT
   was returning properly after an aborted org-mode edit session.

On 2020-12-09 12:20, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Please clarify, because that is not my experience from my testing. True,
> > the org-mode editor does line wrap small words, but in my testing it
> > wasn't truncating long words with a continuation symbol.
>
> It did for me when I tested it yesterday?
>
> >>  I just tried editing a table with C-c ' and then switched on
> >> table-fixed-width-mode, and that seemed to work OK...
> >
> > For long words (with truncation and continuation character) or short
> > words (with line wrap) or both?
>
> Both.
>

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0