Subject: bug#18183: 24.3; table-fixed-width-mode fails with kill/yank

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 14:18:54 -0500

Follow-up: The behavior of the table logic is different when not in an
org buffer. There seems to be confusion (possibly my confusion?) between
using table and org-table. In any event, the ability to mess up things
can itself be considered a bug.

Try this. In both an empty scratch buffer and an org buffer, perform M-x
table-insert. From within each table, press TAB in an attempt to
navigate table cells. It works only in the scratch buffer, and in the
org buffer, I get a message telling me "Use ‘C-c '’ to edit table.el
tables". In the scratch buffer, that is not necessary (and in fact is
undefined) , and you can edit the table directly. My fix (so far) works
only in the scratch buffer, not in the org buffer.

(TANGENT: Also, I see that when using the C-c ' method and canceling out
using C-c C-k, POINT is improperly restored to the beginning of the
table instead of the point at which C-c ' was invoked.)

When the table.el table is created in an org buffer, function
org-src--edit-element does the work, and I don't see it using any of the
code from table.el. This is asking for trouble in that any code
maintenance to table.el functionality (eg. any fix for this bug report)
needs to be done in two places, and in this case the code in each place
seems very different, so it really is double work.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0