Subject: bug#18183: 24.3; table-fixed-width-mode fails with kill/yank

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 04:06:48 -0500

On 2020-12-04 12:29, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > typing directly into a cells in tables does not change the size of the
> > cell when table-fixed-width-mode is set; however, yanking and killing
> > within a cell does change the size of the cell.
>
> (This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)
>
> Do you have a recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", to reproduce this bug?

Yes. A form of this bug is reproducible in emacs-snapshot,
inconsistencies of mode's definition, so I'm providing a recipe for the
simplest case, tested in an October version of emacs-snapshot.

After opening a fresh emacs:

1) find an org-mode file
2) create an org-mode heading line just to show you're in org mode, eg
   * foo
3) M-x table-fixed-width-mode
4) Verify by evaluating table-fixed-width-mode and getting a 't' result
5) Create a table, using the defaults of M-x table-insert
6) C-c ' to edit the current table cell
7) Insert a string greater than the cell width. The expected behavior is
   "A word that is too long to fit in a cell is chopped into multiple
   lines". Note that is not the case within the cell editor pop-up
   buffer. Rather the cell width is expanded.
8) Save your cell-edit changes using C-c '. Note the persistence of the
   unexpected behavior.

My vague vague memory of the distant past when I submitted the bug
report was that the unexpected behavior was different, as described in
my initial report, but some form of that original bug remains, just now
it's more consistent, and behaves just as badly whether inserting or
yanking text into a cell.

At this point, since the behavior is consistent, a lazy way to 'fix' the
bug might be to just change the docstring...

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0