Subject: Re: bug#18182: 24.3.92; C-[ does not work as ESC in viper-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 12:05:39 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The following steps reproduce the problem.
>> 1. Run "emacs -Q".
>> 2. Type "M-x viper" to enable viper-mode.
>> 3. Type "i" to enter viper insert mode.
>> 4. Type "C-[".
>
>> On Emacs 24.3, it exits from viper insert mode as well as ESC key does.
>> On Emacs 24.3.92, it displays "ESC-" in minibuffer and does not exit
>> from viper insert mode.

This problem is still present in Emacs 28.

> In Emacs-24.4, Viper's escape key sequence (in viper-ESC-key) was
> changed from [?\e] to [escape], i.e. from the ASCII escape char (usually
> called ESC in Emacs) to the `escape' key (usually called `escape' in
> Emacs).

I had a look to see what the point of the change was, but the commit
helpfully says:

            * viper-keym.el (viper-ESC-key): constant changed (Stefan Monnier's
            patch).

Stefan?  Would it make sense to change it back to ?\e again?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no