Subject: bug#18171: 24.3.92; pdb gud-print shows "Text is read only"

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:19:09 -0300

While debugging a python script in python-mode (checkout of the latest
python.el) if the region contains, say, the name "v" of a python
variable, both C-x C-a C-p (in the python buffer) and C-c C-p (in the
gud buffer) just shows a "Text is read only" message at the
minibuffer. But executing "p v" in the gud buffer correctly shows the
value of the variable.

---------
Python 3.4.1

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-07-24 on memeplex
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  gud-tooltip-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <down> <down> <down> <down> <backspace> 
q <return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <Python> <Debugger> <help-echo> 
<return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down> <return> p 
SPC 2 <return> C-c C-p C-x o <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-x C-a C-n C-x C-a C-n C-x C-a C-s C-x 
C-a C-n C-x C-a C-n <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
C-SPC <right> C-x C-a C-p <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <left> <left> <down> C-SPC <right> M-x g u d - 
p r i <tab> <return> <down> <down> <down> C-g C-x C-a 
C-q C-x o q C-x b C-g C-h i C-x o q <return> q <return> 
C-x o <down> <down> <return> <return> <up> x = 2 <return> 
e = 2 - <backspace> 0 C-x C-s <down> <down> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<Python> <Debugger> <return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> n <return> 
n <return> n <return> C-x o <up> C-SPC <right> C-x 
C-a C-p <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
gud-format-command: Text is read-only
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Mark activated
gud-format-command: Text is read-only
Quit
C-x C-a C-q is undefined
Quit
Saving file /tmp/test/x.py...
Wrote /tmp/test/x.py
Mark set
gud-format-command: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.92/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow emacsbug debug gdb-mi bindat gud view rst two-column iso-transl
vc-annotate vc-dir vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs macros dired
tramp-cache cus-start cus-load recentf tree-widget log-view mule-util
tabify diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log vc warnings vc-dispatcher
vc-hg jedi python-environment epc ctable concurrent deferred python
skeleton derived pcase rx json misearch multi-isearch vc-git gnus-uu
yenc jka-compr help-mode mailalias smtpmail sendmail nnir flow-fill
gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley shr mm-archive mail-extr gnus-bcklg
gnus-async qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 rfc2104
gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
mailcap url-util url-parse url-vars google-oauth gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit
server flymake paren winner windmove wombat-theme ac-nrepl
cider-interaction apropos arc-mode archive-mode cider-doc org-table org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs cider-test cider-stacktrace cider-client nrepl-client
cider-util ewoc etags dash clojure-mode imenu inf-lisp tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
cl-macs trampver cl gv ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
time-date ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site ido
auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup info easymenu
package cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 634806 87911)
 (symbols 48 51485 70)
 (miscs 40 3427 3458)
 (strings 32 184293 7194)
 (string-bytes 1 4428778)
 (vectors 16 53141)
 (vector-slots 8 1586087 70254)
 (floats 8 505 1673)
 (intervals 56 21486 20)
 (buffers 960 127)
 (heap 1024 340182 84327))