Subject: bug#18171: closed (Re: bug#18171: 24.3.92; pdb gud-print shows "Text is read only")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 12:31:01 +0000

Your bug report

#18171: 24.3.92; pdb gud-print shows "Text is read only"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18171: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18171
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18171: 24.3.92; pdb gud-print shows "Text is read only"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:30:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are you still able to reproduce this bug on a recent version of Emacs?
> If yes, could you please provide a recipe for how to reproduce it,
> starting from "emacs -Q"?
>
> If I don't hear back from you in a couple of weeks, I'll just assume
> that the bug has been fixed in the years since you reported it and close
> this bug report.

No further information was given within 4 weeks, so I'm closing this
now.  If anyone can still reproduce this, please reopen the bug
report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.3.92; pdb gud-print shows "Text is read only"
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:19:09 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While debugging a python script in python-mode (checkout of the latest
python.el) if the region contains, say, the name "v" of a python
variable, both C-x C-a C-p (in the python buffer) and C-c C-p (in the
gud buffer) just shows a "Text is read only" message at the
minibuffer. But executing "p v" in the gud buffer correctly shows the
value of the variable.

---------
Python 3.4.1

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-07-24 on memeplex
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  gud-tooltip-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <down> <down> <down> <down> <backspace> 
q <return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <Python> <Debugger> <help-echo> 
<return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down> <return> p 
SPC 2 <return> C-c C-p C-x o <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-x C-a C-n C-x C-a C-n C-x C-a C-s C-x 
C-a C-n C-x C-a C-n <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
C-SPC <right> C-x C-a C-p <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <left> <left> <down> C-SPC <right> M-x g u d - 
p r i <tab> <return> <down> <down> <down> C-g C-x C-a 
C-q C-x o q C-x b C-g C-h i C-x o q <return> q <return> 
C-x o <down> <down> <return> <return> <up> x = 2 <return> 
e = 2 - <backspace> 0 C-x C-s <down> <down> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<Python> <Debugger> <return> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> n <return> 
n <return> n <return> C-x o <up> C-SPC <right> C-x 
C-a C-p <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
gud-format-command: Text is read-only
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Mark activated
gud-format-command: Text is read-only
Quit
C-x C-a C-q is undefined
Quit
Saving file /tmp/test/x.py...
Wrote /tmp/test/x.py
Mark set
gud-format-command: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.92/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow emacsbug debug gdb-mi bindat gud view rst two-column iso-transl
vc-annotate vc-dir vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs macros dired
tramp-cache cus-start cus-load recentf tree-widget log-view mule-util
tabify diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log vc warnings vc-dispatcher
vc-hg jedi python-environment epc ctable concurrent deferred python
skeleton derived pcase rx json misearch multi-isearch vc-git gnus-uu
yenc jka-compr help-mode mailalias smtpmail sendmail nnir flow-fill
gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley shr mm-archive mail-extr gnus-bcklg
gnus-async qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 rfc2104
gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
mailcap url-util url-parse url-vars google-oauth gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit
server flymake paren winner windmove wombat-theme ac-nrepl
cider-interaction apropos arc-mode archive-mode cider-doc org-table org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs cider-test cider-stacktrace cider-client nrepl-client
cider-util ewoc etags dash clojure-mode imenu inf-lisp tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
cl-macs trampver cl gv ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
time-date ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site ido
auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup info easymenu
package cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 634806 87911)
 (symbols 48 51485 70)
 (miscs 40 3427 3458)
 (strings 32 184293 7194)
 (string-bytes 1 4428778)
 (vectors 16 53141)
 (vector-slots 8 1586087 70254)
 (floats 8 505 1673)
 (intervals 56 21486 20)
 (buffers 960 127)
 (heap 1024 340182 84327))