Subject: bug#18167: 24.4.50; Horizontal scroll bar

From: john ffitch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:56:24 +0100

Is there a way to either get rid of them or at least hide them when
the whole data is within the widow width?  I am finding it visually
dominant and takes screen space.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.17 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.4)
 of 2014-07-31 on harvey.codemist.co.uk
Repository revision: 117615 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403901
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/l

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> SPC <backspace> 
C-_ C-_ C-x C-f c o SPC n f <tab> u <tab> <backspace> 
i <tab> i <tab> <return> C-s h o r i C-x k <return> 
M-x s e n d - <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> e m SPC <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m 
a <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> b u SPC <backspace> <backspace> 
e m SPC <backspace> <backspace> C-g C-h a b u g <return> 
<help-echo> <down> <down> <down> <help-echo> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e SPC 
b SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Invalid face reference: my-tab-face [10 times]
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list...
Invalid face reference: my-tab-face [25 times]
Making completion list...
Invalid face reference: my-tab-face [50 times]
Making completion list...
Invalid face reference: my-tab-face [45 times]
Quit
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell mailalias emacsbug apropos misearch
multi-isearch imenu cc-langs cl-loaddefs cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
vc-bzr bug-reference add-log rmailsum rmailout mime-compose
mail-alias-menu mailcrypt mail-extr comint ansi-color ring rmailkwd qp
rmailmm message sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils eldoc help-fns cal-julian delsel cus-start cus-load
image-file crypt crypt++ crypt+pgp-pub paren view mule-util cal-china
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs time time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 220525 17980)
 (symbols 48 25571 0)
 (miscs 40 18982 2618)
 (strings 32 51436 7712)
 (string-bytes 1 2669156)
 (vectors 16 16560)
 (vector-slots 8 584846 8659)
 (floats 8 623 679)
 (intervals 56 21442 0)
 (buffers 976 23)
 (heap 1024 41451 1378))

==John ffitch