Subject: bug#18156: Thread sorting before loose threads are gathered

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:19:47 +0100

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Correct or incorrect, it doesn't allow me to do what I want to do.  Here
> is my use case:  I want to sort the threads in my summary buffer,
> post-gathering, by the date of the most recent article in the thread.
> If threads (not the articles in threads) are sorted before they are
> gathered, this seems less than possible.

Hm...  I see...

Well, your sorting function could emulate the gathering and then do the
sorting based on that emulation.  The sorting functions should have
access to everything necessary to do so.

The reason I'm less than enthusiastic about changing the order of things
here is that this is really, really old code, and lots people have written
their own sorting functions based on the way it works.  Changing the
order will lead to breakages.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no